Building My House

I have always wanted to build my own house. I am retired now, so I have the time. I found some land, designed a house that would fit the land and my needs and got started. I am doing all the work myself, so progress will be fairly slow. To read this blog from the beginning, start with the oldest archive and read posts from last to first.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

54: Purlins


No, I didn’t die…and No, I didn’t quit building my house OR quit writing about the project…

Yes, I did hurt my knee (torn meniscus, the orthopede thinks), and that has slowed down my ability to climb around up in the trusses like a monkey…and

Yes, the weather has been spotty… a good day here and there, followed by several days of cold, windy, wet… and

Yes, I am guilty of thinking I would finish up one part of building the house (like getting all the purlins and fascia on) before writing about that phase into the blog…SO, here is an update.

I have most of the purlins on. What are purlins you ask. Since I am using a metal roof on this house, and since my roof trusses are set four feet apart, I decided to use the same method of roof attachment that exists in my workshop, and that is, “purlins”. Some people call them 2x4 nailers, or 2x4 furring strips. Whatever you call them, they run perpendicular to the trusses along the “length” of the house. They are spaced every two feet from the fascia board at the bottom (of each truss) all the way up to the peak of the roof. The metal roof will screw directly down onto the purlins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home