Building My House

I have always wanted to build my own house. I am retired now, so I have the time. I found some land, designed a house that would fit the land and my needs and got started. I am doing all the work myself, so progress will be fairly slow. To read this blog from the beginning, start with the oldest archive and read posts from last to first.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Lintel Beam


Here is the lintel beam that goes over the basement room door. It is actually part of the bond beam that sits on top of my foundation walls. It has four pieces of 3/8” rebar inside that run horizontally and two pieces that run vertically in either side of the door frame. Two of the horizontal pieces (the top two) continue on into the bond beam in both directions. The vertical rebar terminates in a 90 degree bends inside the lintel beam. Outside dimensions are the same as a concrete block (7-5/8 x 7-5/8).

It was pretty easy to build the form, using just three upright 2x4’s to hold it up and an OSB box built to shape and contain the sides.

The concrete used to cast the beam was a fairly dry mix and the aggregate was pea gravel, so it looks like an exposed aggregate surface finish. It will all be covered with surface bonding cement later, so the small voids won’t show.

1 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Glad to see you are still at it. I had almost thought you had given up blogging about the project, which by the way is looking good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home