Building My House

I have always wanted to build my own house. I am retired now, so I have the time. I found some land, designed a house that would fit the land and my needs and got started. I am doing all the work myself, so progress will be fairly slow. To read this blog from the beginning, start with the oldest archive and read posts from last to first.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Block Wall Test Stack



After finishing the base course of the East wall, I still had a little daylight left. So, I thought I’d try a little test stack on the part of the base course that was already cured (layed a week ago). I was amazed at how easy it is to build a dry-stack wall. All these block were stacked in maybe 10-15 minutes. I had to stop on this level because now it’s time to fill the cells that have rebar in them with concrete.

When I fill the cells with concrete, at the same time I will stick in another piece of rebar and overlap the rebar by 12-14 inches. Then after the concrete cures I can continue stacking.

Some blocks look dry and some look wet. The wet ones were stacked on the inside of the pallet, the dry ones were on the outside.

This is the southeast corner of the house. This wall is now four courses high. When finished it will be nine courses high. So, this corner is about half done.

2 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Ed said...

Welcome back. I'm glad that you haven't given up.

Question, there is the occasional block that doesn't have a rebar going through it at all since you only do every third opening. Why is this? I would think putting a rebar in every other opening guarantees that every block has something connecting it to another.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Tony said...

Hi Ed:
All the literature I've read about dry stack walls says you only need one piece of vertical rebar about every four feet (using 1/2" diameter rebar). I am using 3/8" rebar, so I just doubled it and placed them every two feet (23" spacing to be exact).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home