Building My House

I have always wanted to build my own house. I am retired now, so I have the time. I found some land, designed a house that would fit the land and my needs and got started. I am doing all the work myself, so progress will be fairly slow. To read this blog from the beginning, start with the oldest archive and read posts from last to first.

Friday, May 11, 2007

An Update




The bond beam is pretty much complete now. Due to a different way of laying the bottom row of block in some of the north wall, the wall height came out a little shallow in several places. To compensate for that I just made the bond beam a little thicker in those areas. Net result, top of bond beam is at desired elevation (which means my floors will be level). To add that thickness I had to frame up the sides some (see pic 1). This method of framing worked well on the lintel beam, so I just used that method again.

On a different subject, I decided to make my first trial runs using the surface bonding cement. This is the mortar like stuff that contains fiberglass (for structural strength) and a waterproofing agent that is used to coat the inside and outside of dry-stack built block walls. I mixed up two small batches of SBC and troweled them on. See pic 2. It goes on pretty easily and trowels out smooth. I ran out of material so there is a small uncoated area in the middle. The instructions said to feather it out on top of your footers a little to seal the wall-footer contact area. My girlfriend said to go buy her a trowel because she wants to get in on this too. So, I’m off to the building supply store (again).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home