Building My House

I have always wanted to build my own house. I am retired now, so I have the time. I found some land, designed a house that would fit the land and my needs and got started. I am doing all the work myself, so progress will be fairly slow. To read this blog from the beginning, start with the oldest archive and read posts from last to first.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

58: Stove Flanking Windows




In acquiring all my windows for the house I ended up with a few extras. One extra window was bathroom sized; roughly 20 x 24. I got to thinking that if I could get the two window panes out (double glass, low E, Argon filled panels) that I could create two windows either side of the kitchen stove, above the countertops, but below the kitchen cabinets. This would bring a little natural light into the kitchen during the day. The bottom window came out easily, but the top window cracked during removal. So, I called up the window company that made it and ordered a replacement panel. When they quoted me $16 for a replacement I knew this idea would work out.
So, here are pics of the finished windows. They are right at 12” tall by 18” wide. Neither window opens up for ventilation, they are just miniature picture windows. I built the window frames out of pressure treated lumber and will do some additional flashing later to prevent rain related problems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home