Building My House

I have always wanted to build my own house. I am retired now, so I have the time. I found some land, designed a house that would fit the land and my needs and got started. I am doing all the work myself, so progress will be fairly slow. To read this blog from the beginning, start with the oldest archive and read posts from last to first.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

63B: One More Time




When I got my siding installed up to the crossarm on the scaffold I had to find a way to temporarily move the scaffold top away from the wall an inch or two so I could slide that piece of siding in and nail it.

What I came up with was a lever and secondary crossarm, which could be mounted above or below the primary crossarm. The lever is about 40” long which gives me plenty of mechanical advantage, so I can pry the scaffold off the wall just enough to slip in the next piece of siding. Once it’s pried off the wall I just tie the lever to a scaffold leg to hold it in place.

Pic 1 is your standard lean-too scaffold, like originally built.
Pic 2 is with the secondary crossarm in use. Notice the primary crossarm is off the wall about 2 inches.

To put the next higher row of siding on I pretty much had to move the secondary crossarm down “under” the primary to create enough space to install the siding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home