Building My House

I have always wanted to build my own house. I am retired now, so I have the time. I found some land, designed a house that would fit the land and my needs and got started. I am doing all the work myself, so progress will be fairly slow. To read this blog from the beginning, start with the oldest archive and read posts from last to first.

Monday, May 17, 2010

68: Homemade Block and Tackle




Building this house I have had to lift many things that were either heavy or bulky (or both). I knew I needed a electric winch or a good block and tackle to help out. All the blocks I've seen for sale were usually 4 wheel models and awfully expensive. Since I wanted the extra mechanical advantage a 6 wheel model would provide, I decided to build one.
So, it's off to the scrap metal yard to find 1/8" flat steel plate. The side pieces are roughly 3" x 6". All the hardware is 1/2" diameter. Locknuts were used to prevent things from coming apart at inopportune moments. The rope is 3/8" poly, rated for (I think) about 175 lbs. At first I thought 100 ft of rope would be sufficient, I have since added another 25'. The pulleys are 2.5" diameter and came from the local welding supply house; they are rated for 700 lbs.
This thing paid for itself the first time I used it. It has been used a lot to lift and move, particularly in lifting and moving those 20 ft tall A-frame scaffold supports used to side and paint the house. Once, I even used it to straighten out a bowed 2x6 wall stud.
Realize, this was not designed by a professional. It has not been tested, so I have no idea what it's load capacity is. Build and use one at your own risk. If you do build one, don't ever stand under a suspended load. Be careful.

1 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Notice the top rope in the top pic seems to be unwinding; that is because the rope was installed backwards. Several old Navy guys who understand ropes showed me my error. The rope has since been removed, reversed and wound around the pulleys in the opposite direction...no more loosening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home