Building My House

I have always wanted to build my own house. I am retired now, so I have the time. I found some land, designed a house that would fit the land and my needs and got started. I am doing all the work myself, so progress will be fairly slow. To read this blog from the beginning, start with the oldest archive and read posts from last to first.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

77: Foam - Day Two

What was so simple yesterday, seemed harder today. I had a long conversation with Soythane technical this morning only to find out that the darker brown color foam of the last couple of canisters was probably not due to moisture in the compressed air, but rather more likely due to the foam reaching it's highest sprayable temp, which I think is 95 degf, but realistically it should be more like 90.

I didn't get as early a start as I would've liked, so by the time I did start I was measuring foam temps up around 92. I sprayed a couple of canisters before lunch and they seemed to take an awfully long time to spray, like two minutes plus. These canisters are supposed to be empty in 45-60 seconds, so I expect the foam temp was the cause of my problems.

So, take a break, eat some lunch, think about what to do. I decided to make a cooling bath for the canisters, but I probably used too much ice in the bath. The water temp measured at 42 degrees, which cools the foam down way too quick and way too much. So, it's warm them back up some, but net result was I seemed to be measuring mid to high 80's which should have sprayed perfectly, only it didn't. Long spray times were still the problem.

Soythane says to shake the canisters to mix the contents before spraying. Maybe I wasn't shaking them enough.

Tomorrow the high is supposed to be mid to high 80's, so maybe that will make for a better day, and I plan to get a much earlier start.

Lessons learned - the head cover you want is called a spray sock, got mine from Lowes. Soythane recommended using Vaseline on any exposed skin, lots cheaper than even Walmart's version of Aquaphor. Oh, and they don't require you install a water separator in your airline.

7 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger Ed said...

You certainly aren't making a case for Soythane. It seems pretty sensitive for application by a DIY'er.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Tony said...

I'm not ready yet to finalize my opinion on Soythane. I'm sure there is a learning curve to go through in using this or any other product.

As I stated in the post, I think most of my problems were because I started too late in the day, after the temps had gone up; that includes the temp in the garage where the unused foam is stored. Had I started earlier, like I intend to today, those problems may not show up.

Unfortunately, right now it's 77 outside, or I would be over there right now.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Ed said...

I suppose if you hired someone to apply Soythane, they would have a temperature controlled cooler with the cartridges inside. 80 to 85 degrees is a pretty narrow band most places here in the United States.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger JazzMan said...

I was thinking of buying this system but the people seem rude and lack any helpful knowledge.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Tony said...

Jazz:
It seems the one sales guy I talked too might have come off a little bit that way, but Tom and Jeff in the tech support group have been nothing but helpful.

Ed:
As the same gun would be used to apply the foam, by pro applicators or DIYers, unless the pro had a temp controlled storage locker for the foam I'm confused how it would be any different.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger JazzMan said...

Okay, do you think you can by pass sales guys to get the real deal? Your blog has been much help. Still confused and want to get things right.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Jazz:
When you call the 1-800 number, press 2 for technical support. I probably talked to them 3 or 4 times before purchasing the product. I had questions about compressors, temperatures, all kinds of stuff; so calling technical before purchase is no problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home