Building My House

I have always wanted to build my own house. I am retired now, so I have the time. I found some land, designed a house that would fit the land and my needs and got started. I am doing all the work myself, so progress will be fairly slow. To read this blog from the beginning, start with the oldest archive and read posts from last to first.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Grinding Up the Stumps



Well, it had to happen sooner or later. I would find something that needed to be posted long before now -- so here's another little detour.

The construction site had not only 4 trees that needed to be removed, but also about 14 stumps that needed to go. We have this guy who comes out of Oklahoma; he comes here twice a year to grind everybody's stumps. He puts an ad in the newspaper with a phone number to call. My neighbor had used him before, so we called.

He shows up with this monstrous piece of machinery mounted on a trailer with what looks like a diesel truck engine and a grinding wheel that looks like it could cut thru concrete. Between my stumps and all the neighbors stumps in our little subdivision he did about 25 of them in about 2 hours. This thing grinds stumps so fast he doesn't even get out of the truck. Big stumps (24" diameter) take less than a minute. He drives the truck around and positions the trailer; his son or nephew (can't remember) operates the grinder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home